Monday, June 22, 2009

GGG On Holidays #1 (PT.2): Father's Day Dinner

Although most often reliable and handy when it comes to picking a place to eat when you and your friends just can't decide, the iPhone app Urban Spoon is NOT ALWAYS trustworthy in the suggestions it gives. I posted earlier yesterday night that we had reservations at this restaurant called La Viena; drove by the place which was tucked into this little corner off of Kensington and I know it's harsh to judge a book by its cover, but we ended up trashing our 7PM reservation and decided to look for something a little more... dare I say: presentable. Besides, the kids were treating Dad out to dinner and you can't blame us for wanting it to be a good one, no?

Five minutes later, we ended up at Osteria de Medici, found right in the heart of Kensington, and enjoyed a wonderful Italian dinner complete with apps and dessert. Sometimes going back to something familiar is better than trying something new. I had been here before: back in Junior High for my 13th birthday, my parents picked me up from school, took me here for lunch and let me skip my next class just to be with them. Anyways, thankfully our night was saved and it could not have been any better (at the exception if Mom was with us, but other than that).




Daddy on his Blackberry. Do you and mom BBM eachother?






Took advantage of the time we had before our food came out to take pictures, discuss our upcoming family trip to Orlando (!) and give him his card.




Some pre-main course eats: Bread and Butter, Bruschetta, Calamari.




My first time trying Escargot. I liked it!




The Veal Chops, the Seafood Pasta, the Canneloni and the Tortellini. (They had fancier names, but that'll do)


Imported Italian Chocolate ice cream. Delicious!

When our server brought us the bill, he was about to pass it to Dad and to be honest it felt so good to stop him and say:



"Oh, actually we'll take that. That's ours!"


In case you were wondering, we did ask what the name of the restaurant meant! The answer could not have described the place and our night any better: Family.

1 comments:

KJ said...

george bush went there for dinner too when he came to calgary!